- Price: Between $200 and $600; Sand: between $50 and $150.
- Pros: Biggest seller in Quebec, therefore product and parts are very accessible. User-friendly. Provide adequate filtration. Easy to clean.
- Cons: Very heavy and take up space. Filtration pressure leads to a rapid deterioration of its components. If the filter does not work properly, can bring sand in the pool.
- Performance: Filters 20-100 microns.
- Maintenance: Change sand every 5 years.
- Lifespan: 25 years.
D.E filter (Diatomaceous Earth)
- Price: Between $500 and $1 000; Diatomaceous earth: inexpensive.
- Pros: Best filtration performance on the market. Maintenance is reasonably priced.
- Cons: Maintenance can be painful. Possible overpressure if filtration system is kept poorly. Residues of diatomaceous earth are toxic to rivers.
- Performance: Filters 3-5 microns.
- Maintenance: Replace the diatomaceous earth twice during the summertime.
- Lifespan: 20 years.
- Price: Between $500 and $1 000; Cartridge filter: between $150 and $600.
- Pros: Easy to use. No backwash cleaning required. Only filtration system to trap body oils.
- Cons: Lifespan of cartridge filter: short.
- Performance: Filters 25-100 microns.
- Maintenance: Change cartridge filter once or twice a year.
- Lifespan: 20 years and 3 years for cartridge filter.